ROPES 2014

ROPES is a literary journal published by students at NUI Galway, and they are open for submission! (Details Above.)  I met their PR Niamh Callaghan at the Over The Edge Reading last night in Galway, it was hugely enjoyable night with a great audience. Audrey Dinneen read the most heart breaking pancake making scene you'll ever hear, and the open mic afterwards was packed with exciting poems, sestinas on rugby bums, rifts on hips, coffee bean epiphanies... A lively (and really well run) open mic - it will be on again in December, so if you're near Galway check it out. (And a big thanks to Kevin Higgins and Susan Millar DuMars for inviting me.) And...

I'm reading in Croi Anu Creative Centre, Moone, Co Kildare tonight at 7.30pm

It's my last reading of the year, and it's been an exciting, and exhausting year, so I'm really looking forward to crawling back into my cave and getting to grips with some writing. I heard Donna Tartt on the radio this morning, she was asked for writing advice.  I waited with baited breathe for some mystical insight, but her tip was pretty practical.  The advice that is most often given to writers,  and most often ignored by writers - but probably the best - 'write every day - just show up at the page.'

I'm looking forward to doing just that.

Have a great weekend, and good luck if you submit to ROPES :)

Comments

Lorna said…
You've had an amazing year. I reviewed The Herbalist for Irish Country Living earlier in the year and will do it on my blog as soon as I get a chance - trying to get back to doing a review a week.

I love blogging and was delighted to hear Donna give that piece of advice - so much so I had to pull in from driving and send a tweet to the John Murray Show :)
Words A Day said…
Thanks Lorna, only catching up on my blog comments now - its great advice, I'd better start heeding it :)

Popular Posts