Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Plotting

I never outline or plan in the early stages because I love that sense of discovery that comes when writing a first draft. Although this does mean that later drafts involve a lot of rewriting (and cutting) as I try to figure out the plot, once the basics of what happened, and then what happened... are in place- it gets juicy again. I used to dread plotting but shaping a story, identifying its twists and turns can be really enjoyable, this quote from Rikki Ducornet, sums it up for me -

'Plot is not secondary but essential, the heart of the matter, the bright web that connects all of the elements and causes them to throb and shudder.'

Delighted to say that my short story, 'Since I became a Monster,' will be in the next issue of Crannog, (to be launched in The Crane Bar at 6.30 on the 24th February), and also, a poem of mine, 'Sleeping Beauty's Take' will be in the spring edition of The Moth Magazine. The Moth is currently running a short story competition (deadline 31st March) which is open to anyone, living anywhere. Happy Writing. Happy Wednesday:)

14 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh I do love starting a story and not worrying where it will take me so long as I'm enjoying the ride - I just go with it!

But yes, plotting has to show its face eventually! LOL!! And that's where I fail big time as I ignore that face as long as I can. Ahem!

Oh you are going to have a brilliant, brilliant writerly year with your novel and your stories and poetry!! Yay!! Take care
x

Orla Fay said...

Wow Niamh that's fantastic! Well done.

Niamh B said...

happy wednesday to you too - well done on the crannog - sounds like a good title

Dr. Mohamed said...

Congrats on your recent publications, and BOTH a short story and poem, no less!

Michael Farry said...

Congrats Niamh, good start to 2012!

Liza said...

Congratulations on your writing successes! I too, like to see how the story turns out first. Thankfully, I like editing.

Anonymous said...

I plot after I get the first draft out, but then I can relax and enjoy it. I would find plotting first inhibiting and too schematic. I see you're in Crannog too. Will you be reading on the night? Hope to see you there

Deborah said...

A novel, poem and a short story, what a wonderful and much deserved start to your year ....Well done! :o)

Mari G said...

You are really on a roll -well done on brilliant start to 2012!

Anonymous said...

Neither do I plot, I've a sketch idea for my next novel, swore I'd do it differently this time by writing out a plot and chapter by chapter plan and delving into each character. I let you know how it goes.

Theresa Milstein said...

Plotting? What's that?

I think about most scenes as I write them and the more I write, the more I can pay attention to things like pacing, plot, character, and so on as I write.

Congratulations on your upcoming publications!

Louise said...

Great post - and well done on Crannog and The Moth. You are going from strenght to strenght:)

broken biro said...

Hello - this is my first visit too! I got lots of books out about how to write a novel and they all said different things. I tried having a plan but those pesky characters WILL do what they want so I let them run and play now... and it's the better for it! 8-)

Group 8 said...

Great stuff, Niamh. I hope to see you later :)

Still here...

Yes, I’m still here! And still writing... I decided to reawaken the blog as I miss its old style, slow style - which suits my own at the mom...