Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Yellow Room

The Yellow Room
The Yellow Room publishes short stories of up to 5,000 words by women writers twice a year. The Yellow Room also gives helpful and constructive feedback on those stories the editor, Jo Derrick ( pictured above) considers unsuitable for the magazine.

My story, The Breaking Point Ball, is in the latest edition. Jo Derricks submission guidelines are well worth reading for her discussion on the short story. I particulary like this quote from Carver:

“There has to be some tension, a sense that something is imminent, that certain things are in relentless motion, or else, most often, there won’t be a story. What creates tension in a piece of fiction is partly the way the concrete words are linked to make up the visible action of the story. But it’s also the things that are left out, that are implied, the landscape just under the smooth (but sometimes broken and unsettled) surface of things.”

Looking forward to getting my copy in the post...
(Jo also blogs here )

8 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Congratulations!!!! Wow!!! And thanks for the link too - I like the "writer's checklist" too - all very helpful!!!

Take care
x

Niamh B said...

Congrats on the publication!

Brigid O'Connor said...

Congrats and well deserved, love the writing tips.

Jan Morrison said...

yippee! That is so good! I'm going to go check it out...

Theresa Milstein said...

How wonderful you'll be in the book. Congratulations!

I'm going to keep this quote in mind. The last line is written beautifully.

Máire T. Robinson said...

Well done, Niamh! Looks like a lovely publication.

Anonymous said...

good 4 you.
stay blessed.

Award/Treats 4 Poetic Friends of Jingle, Happy Sunday!

hope to see you at our potluck tonight.

Ann said...

Congratulations Niamh!!! I am delgihted and excited for you.

Great tips thanks so much for the link.

Still here...

Yes, I’m still here! And still writing... I decided to reawaken the blog as I miss its old style, slow style - which suits my own at the mom...